The Queen's Gambit: Proof That Your Goals Are Within Reach

 




On this post I will be giving my take aways from the brilliantly produced show by Scott Frank and Allan Scott. Please follow through as I believe you'll learn a thing or two (possibly more) as you read through. 

Aside from the entertaining, thrilling, seat holding, teeth gnashing, fist clenching and emotional rollercoaster content that the show provides, you can learn an awful lot from the show. The Queen's Gambit is an American coming-of-age period drama streaming television miniseries based on Walter Tevis's 1983 novel of the same name, created for Netflix by Scott Frank and Allan Scott, and written and directed by the former. Beginning mid-1950s and proceeding into the 1960s, the story is about an orphaned chess prodigy on her rise to becoming a world class chess player while struggling with emotional problems and drug and alcohol dependency.

My Take Aways

1. Once you have passion for something, chase it down and sharpen it 

In the show, Beth (the protagonist) gaines massive interest in chess the moment she sees the game. She does everything she can just to learn and that was literally all she could think about. As time goes by, that's the number one thing she is passionate about and wanted to be the best at. She practices and studies the game as much as she can to become better.
Whatever you're passionate about, let it be your top priority to see yourself achieve it and be the best you can be at it. Respond to your passions by practicing, studying and doing whatever you can to achieve your desired outcome. 

2. No matter what you're going through, don't let it derail you from what you want. Keep your eyes on the ball

Beth was left orphaned and was in quite a few difficult situations in her life. One thing that stood out about her character was her perseverance to achieve what she wanted to regardless of the emotional scars and anguish she had been going through since she was a child. Take it from me, it isn't easy. You will break down and feel like giving up more times than you think but the key is to remember what brought you on that journey in the first place. Reignite that fire by taking your mind back to when you realized this passion for whatever it is. Take yourself back to the first love, as I like to call it. Hold on to your dream, it's the only thing you have in the midst of the storm. Also, if you feel demotivated, you can motivate yourself by picturing your desired outcome and what you want to achieve. I have personally found that this helps you keep going and keeps your eyes on the ball.

3. Channel your pain into things that won't harm you. Your strength is within yourself

As seen in the show, Beth struggles with drug addiction and alcoholism. For a long time, she believed that the tranquil pills that she was given at the orphanage helped her focus and kept her at ease before a match. This turned out sour as she became heavily dependant on them and didn't think she could win a match without them. She placed her strength in them. Later on her friend shows concern over them and basically tells her that she doesn't need them to win. She just needs to look within (I'm paraphrasing in case film critics come for my head). We also see that due to a few losses and internalized trauma and pain, she seeks refuge in a bottle. 
Dear reader, whatever it may be that you're going through, you need to find a way of channeling it into something productive or something that isn't harmful to you. I've seen way too many people go down this road and it doesn't end well. Try sports, develop a hobby or channel it into the things you like to do. Alcohol and drugs will NEVER help you nor will they numb the pain. It will only affect your health and throw you off your game.

4. Everyone needs someone

If you're like me, you probably like to push people away when you're going through the most. You may tell yourself things like "I don't want to be a burden to others" or "I can do this on my own. I don't need anyone" but that's a lie. I don't know about you but that just makes things worse in the sense that you take yourself to a place of feeling like no one cares meanwhile you decided to push people away. Allow people to help you and be there for you; It makes the load lighter. Internalizing your pain, struggle or failure just pushes you to places such as the point discussed above, substance abuse, or worse, self hurt and suicide. Know your circle and know who is really there for you. Once you have that figured out, allow yourself to confide in them. Sometimes we just need people to listen and that's okay. People will pick you up when you can't seem to do it on your own. Allow it.

5. Teamwork makes the Dream work

When Beth was set to play in Moscow, one of her friends who was helping her made an interesting statement. He said that the reason why Russian chess players win is because they work together unlike Americans who have an individualism approach to things. As you work on actualizing your passions, it doesn't hurt to get help or work with people. If you're a student like me, I recommend this. I used to be the type that felt that I work better alone but the moment I started working with a group of people they helped me discover weak points, gave me tips and motivated me to do better. I found that my grades really improved. Also, don't be afraid to seek ho from your classmates or people that know more than you. Ine(me) I learnt how to ask! You don't lose anything but rather, learn so much. Don't let your pride or timidness rob you from gaining information/knowledge.

6. You are your own competition and your own hindrance

Beth got beaten by the world chess champion not because he was necessarily better than she was but because she wasn't bettering herself. As seen in the show, she went to the second match that by the way, she didn't prepare adequately for, hungover and drunk. He obviously beat her. We only see that she beats him when she lets go of her addictions and a few other things that contributed to her win. The point is, you can be your own enemy of success. Monitor what you do and anything that derails you from being better at what you do or drawing you away from actualizing your passions. Realize that you are your only competition and the only person you're supposed to best each day is yourself. 

7. Believe in yourself

The whole world can believe in you but as long as you don't believe in yourself, you'll be stagnant. You need to learn to believe in yourself and your capabilities. I'm telling you, people can come up to you and say all sorts of things about how great you are or going to be based on what they see in you but if you don't believe in yourself, you'll always be frustrated and it'll affect your journey to actualizing your passions. Believing in yourself and abilities isn't solely based on seeing yourself in a positive way, it is also based on practice and work ethic. Beth believed in her capabilities because of how much time she spent practicing and studying. The more you know your way around things, the more confident you'll be. 


As you wake up this morning and every other morning, seek to work on your passions, motivate yourself to do better and get things done. Push out anything that is hindering you from your goals. Work with people that are ahead of you, better than you or people that know more/can help you. Channel your pain into productive things. Open up to someone today. It's time to keep your eyes on the ball. I believe in you and now it's time to believe in yourself. 

Comments

  1. This is really nice chief,I like how you getting examples from the show and explaining them ...Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great and encouraging! Relating and applying it to real life. There's a lot to learn and even just to remind us of what is important

      Delete
  2. Powerful! Has definitely changed something with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. An worthy read. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Zambia gets to have a thriving film industry, I am very sure you'll make a very good movie critic. I like how you analyse the character, took me back to my Literature class at university. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Zambia gets to have a thriving film industry, I am very sure you'll make a very good movie critic. I like how you analyse the character, took me back to my Literature class at university. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Zambia gets to have a thriving film industry, I am very sure you'll make a very good movie critic. I like how you analyse the character, took me back to my Literature class at university. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Phonecall